Tuesday, December 27, 2011

different worlds colliding.

last week in the new year, and im not quite ready. putting my 2012 plans on paper is kind of scary. to me, its like a binding contract between myself...and God. and i hate breaking promises. but its a progress and i at least have until Saturday midnight.

however i was motivated to write due to an evening encounter. getting in heavy work outs this week...i stopped by the bookstore on my way to the studio. scheming around this guy comes near and asks if thats actually something i read. it was the infamous Fredrick Douglass autobiography i hadnt finished weeks ago. i slightly believed that by buying it i would probably actually finish it this time. the last time i only borrowed it from the library, renewed it three times before the library said my love affair with the book was over. i think i only read half...if that...

i told him, "not really..." and just kind of explained the story i had with the book. we sort of just chatted and began to discover we had plenty in common. we had the same favorite museum, wanted to see the same exhibit, hes a poet, writer, tech student and taught classes on afro culture etc etc. like a breath of fresh air in a place id like to consider a haven of mines...this interesting and exciting man in my haven space?

all of a sudden, in the vibe, he asks me for my number. of course i said yes! we run into a faith talk where he shamelessly admits that Jesus is an "alternative" and not "the way". i simply replied, "interesting". looking at my watch, i wasnt interested in a debate and he seemed to be fishing for it...and i was silently breaking...he went from everything to WTH in a sentence...

felt like two of the same people who lived in different worlds colliding. and that fun laugh turned into a side eye, and i was sadden. yes, all this in the bookstore. but im still interested in this fellow. with my number already stored, i assume this wont be the last of him. im not sure if God's testing or encouraging me to crank in these new and preserved lessons...

we shall see...